Today we are joined by “Jedi of the unconscious”, Dr. Sarah Sarkis, and applied neuroscientist, Dr. Chris Bertam. Between the two of them, they have a vast range of expertise which converges on their common pursuit, the Shadowboxing Podcast. In this episode, we discover what shadowboxing is and how it relates to flourishing.
Chris and Sarah share their thoughts on what it means to flourish, how it relates to flow, and the importance of learning to tolerate struggle. Theory aside, our guests impart some practical advice for increasing your tolerance for discomfort, from cold water submersion to the simple art of breathwork. Tune in for some helpful tools for overcoming shadow boxes and ultimately, flourishing.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing Drs. Chris Bertram and Sarah Sarkis.
- The genesis of the name of their podcast, Shadowboxing.
- What “shadowboxing” means to Sarah and Chris, respectively.
- The shared goal of their collaboration.
- Sarah and Chris’ range of expertise and the effectiveness of an integrated approach.
- How our guests conceptualize flourishing.
- The crossover between flow and flourishing.
- Discussing the value of struggle.
- How to increase your tolerance for discomfort.
- The benefits of controlled exposure to cold water.
- Exploring the struggle of stillness.
- The connection between shadowboxing and flourishing.
- How it’s best to help people help themselves, and why it’s so important to do so.
- Why Sarah believes that biology trumps psychology.
- The mind-body connection and the effectiveness of breath work.
- Tools for overcoming shadow boxes.
- Chris and Sarah’s final words of (very practical) advice.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
The Antifragile Academy
Dr. Chris Bertram on LinkedIn
Dr. Chris Bertram on Instagram
Dr. Chris Bertram on Twitter
Dr. Sarah Sarkis
Dr. Sarah Sarkis on LinkedIn
Dr. Sarah Sarkis on Instagram
Dr. Sarah Sarkis on Twitter
The Shipley School
Flourish FM Podcast
Flourish FM on Twitter
Flourish FM on Instagram