Today’s very special guest is Dr. Gloria Mark, the Chancellor's Professor of Informatics at the University of California, Irvine, and author of Attention Span: A Groundbreaking Way to Restore Balance, Happiness and Productivity. Her work is primarily focused on the deep examination of multitasking, interruptions, and mood as they pertain to the use of digital devices.
In our conversation, Gloria defines attention, the different types of attention, psychological balance, and flow. She also explains why attention is always goal-oriented, how we’ve developed kinetic attention in this digital age, whether our dwindling attention spans are cause for concern, and how we can use technology to promote well-being rather than productivity. Tune in now to learn how to use social media strategically, how to replenish your attention reserves, and so much more with the remarkable Dr. Gloria Mark!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Joining us today is the author of Attention Span, Dr. Gloria Mark.
- Gloria tells us about her research and what led her to write her book.
- What attention is, and its role in well-being and living a fulfilled life.
- The different types of attention.
- How our attention resources are limited.
- Gloria explains why our attention is always goal-oriented.
- An introduction to kinetic attention.
- Whether we should be concerned about the rapid reduction of our attention spans.
- If our attention span and behavior change when we go offline.
- How we’ve developed kinetic attention in response to the modern world.
- Gloria’s hypothesis on why our attention spans have gotten shorter in this digital age.
- The tension trap of randomly reinforced behavior.
- How we can use technology to support well-being rather than productivity.
- The role of psychological balance as it relates to the different types of attention.
- Simple activities that you can do to replenish your attention reserve.
- The attention trap of social media and how to use it strategically.
- Gloria defines flow and its role in the working lives of people today.
- The precondition to flow: a focused and engaged attention.
- What Gloria means when she says that “rhythm is the new flow.”
- Her lesson on flourishing for listeners, and practical ways to implement it.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
The Antifragile Academy
Dr. Gloria Mark
Attention Span: A Groundbreaking Way to Restore Balance, Happiness and Productivity
Dr. Gloria Mark on LinkedIn
Dr. Gloria Mark on Twitter
Dr. Gloria Mark on Facebook
University of California, Irvine
‘The broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions’
The Shipley School
Flourish FM Podcast
Flourish FM on Twitter
Flourish FM on Instagram